Simple Steps to get your GMRS license

CQ, CQ, CQ, were calling you. Say Hello!
Introduce yourself.
Learn how to get your GMRS License.
Join the growing community of neighborhood radio enthusiasts.
OSCAR-03
Senior Broadcaster
Senior Broadcaster
Radio(s): Baofeng GM-15 PRO
Baofeng-UV5R
Kenwood TS 830S
CallSign(s): KK6QPP
WRYV681
OSCAR-03

Simple Steps to get your GMRS license

Post by OSCAR-03 »

Follow these simple steps to get your NO TEST GMRS License from the FCC
Am I qualified to get a GMRS radio license?
You may apply for a GMRS license if you are 18 years or older and not a representative of a foreign government. Once you receive a license, any family member, regardless of age, can operate GMRS radios, and they do not need to reside in your home. There is a $35.00 FCC fee to obtain your license.

• The first step in applying for a GMRS license is to get an FCC Registration Number, or FRN, if you don’t already have one. First, go to the Commission’s Registration System (CORES) https://apps.fcc.gov/cores/userLogin.do and click REGISTER. Answer whether the FRN is for an individual or business and whether the address for the contact is within the U.S. then click CONTINUE. Complete the registration form (shown below) and click SUBMIT. The CORES system will assign you an FRN as soon as you finish this form.
FCC 1.jpg
FCC 1.jpg (166.16 KiB) Viewed 1395 times
  • The next page will show your current licenses. I am a licensed radio amateur, so the screenshot below shows the status of my amateur radio license. To apply for a GMRS license, click on “Apply for a new license.” NOTE: If you don't see your license here it is possible your license has not been associated with your FRN. In this case follow the link near the bottom of the page to associate your license to your FRN.
FCC 2.jpg
FCC 2.jpg (185.19 KiB) Viewed 1395 times
  • On the next page, select the last item—ZA – General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS)–from the drop-down menu, then click CONTINUE. Answer the applicant questions, then click CONTINUE. On the next page, enter your name and address, then click CONTINUE.
FCC 3.jpg
FCC 3.jpg (169.27 KiB) Viewed 1395 times
  • On the next page, you’ll be asked if you have ever been connected with a felony. This is something relatively new on all FCC license applications. Answer the question, then click CONTINUE.
  • On the next page, you’ll be presented with a summary of your application (as shown below). If you wish to change any of the information, click the appropriate EDIT button.
FCC 4.jpg
FCC 4.jpg (154.08 KiB) Viewed 1395 times
Click CONTINUE TO CERTIFY to proceed to the Certification page.
  • On this page, you simply certify that you are eligible to hold a GMRS license. Enter your name and a title, if you have one, then click SUBMIT APPLICATION. Next, you’ll see a confirmation of your application. Click CONTINUE FOR PAYMENT OPTIONS to proceed with payment. On the next screen, log in again with your FRN and password, and you’ll get a page like the one below with a variety of payment options. I chose to pay with a credit card.
FCC 5.jpg
FCC 5.jpg (168.08 KiB) Viewed 1395 times
  • Enter your payment information, click the Continue with Plastic Card Payment button, and then step through a series of screens to make your payment, and you’re done!
You will receive an email verifying your credit card payment. Normally you will receive notification with license details within no more than two days. To download or print a paper copy of the license authorization, log in again to the FCC website https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/licManager/login.jsp and click the Download Electronic Authorizations link on the My Licenses page.
OSCAR-03