Radio(s): Baofeng GM-15 PRO
Baofeng-UV5R
Kenwood TS 830S
CallSign(s): KK6QPP
WRYV681
OSCAR-03

Things Not to Do....

Post by OSCAR-03 »

Don't point your hand held sideways. When transmitting the best position is for your antenna to be pointed straight up. Essentially the signal radiates out at 90 degrees from the antenna. So pointing it sideways sends the signal more up and down instead of horizontally.
Antena 6.jpg
Antena 6.jpg (50.33 KiB) Viewed 458 times
OSCAR-03
OSCAR-03
Senior Broadcaster
Senior Broadcaster
Baofeng-UV5R
Kenwood TS 830S
WRYV681
OSCAR-03

Re: Things Not to Do....

Post by OSCAR-03 »

By Chris Passeau
Please do not pickup or hold your hand held radios by the antennas. This could cause damage to the antennas and antenna connection.
I think you spotted me carrying my radios this way, after you helped me programing the other day. :(
OSCAR-03
Ron WRYV681
Radio(s): Baofeng UV-5R
Baofeng UV-9G

Post by Ron WRYV681 »

Don't do what you shouldn't do just because you don't know what you should do.
A beginners Radio Communications class will be scheduled very soon. If you are not sure what to do just ask at "Elmer's Corner" viewforum.php?f=32 the best place to find answers to your questions.
OSCAR-03
Senior Broadcaster
Senior Broadcaster
Baofeng-UV5R
Kenwood TS 830S
WRYV681
OSCAR-03

Post by OSCAR-03 »

Please no politics on the radio. No foul language or controversial subject matter. The purpose of creating radio networks and community groups is to bring together people from all walks (and political perspectives) of life to strengthen our communities and create cohesive neighborhoods that are well prepared to cope with hard times. 

If anyone becomes disruptive to the overall community they will be prohibited from using the repeater system in place here in Tuolumne County.
By Chris Passeau
The FCC requires Marc and me to monitor our repeaters for any FCC rule violations. Marc and I cannot monitor all of our repeaters 24/7. With that being said, Marc and I are looking for some volunteer monitors to help us out. As a volunteer monitor, you would be assigned to one of our repeaters and to just advise Marc or myself if you hear unauthorized users or any FCC rule violations. You will not be expected to confront anyone. I have already heard unauthorized users on the Cedar Ridge repeater. As a volunteer monitor you would also be able to monitor a repeater channel and assist people that may need help. (This is what CB radio use to do back in the day, CH 9 React team) Please send me a message if you are interested in helping out and I will then give you more information.
Please note: the repeaters are purchased, installed and maintained by volunteers that donate their time and finances. The repeater system operators are also accountable to the FCC and liable for any infractions or illegal activities related to the use of the repeaters. Before using the repeater system you must receive permission.

You can get permission two different ways: 
  1. See the bottom of this page, click on Tuolumne County GMRS and request permission from the blue box at the top right of this page.  
  2. Join the Tuolumne County GMRS Facebook page and request permission.
OSCAR-03