From Hobby Hill: GMRS MATTERS

Everything for the Columbia Neighborhood FRS and GMRS Radio Community.
Find out what Columbia families are using their radio communication skills for.
Join the conversation and learn how you can participate.

Moderator: WRDP326_Jeff

OSCAR-03
Senior Broadcaster
Senior Broadcaster
Radio(s): Baofeng GM-15 PRO
Baofeng-UV5R
Kenwood TS 830S
CallSign(s): KK6QPP
WRYV681
OSCAR-03

From Hobby Hill: GMRS MATTERS

Post by OSCAR-03 »

By John Buster
KN6RLM/WROX508

Hi folks! KN6RLM/WROX508, John, here to review a radio I really like!
Choosing a GMRS radio can be a head-scratcher. With so many brands and so many different features, which one works for your particular needs? The mobile radios can offer up to 50 watts of power for
long range communication, while hand-held radios for GMRS are restricted to a maximum of 5 watts on certain channels. I do have a Radioddity DB25-g 25 watt mobile radio, and it's great in the car, but most of the time I'm not in my car, so the hand-held is my most used radio. I am prone to dropping my electronics - phones, radios, cameras, etc. I would love to have one of the expensive hand-held radios, with built in GPS and an LCD screen, and I would probably still drop it and cringe at the replacement cost. So, I have gone the cheaper route. Affordability is my main concern, but functionality is only slightly less important. I wanted a radio that was full power, repeater capable, and also could be used to scan other frequencies. Lots of hand-held GMRS radios can also function as a scanner. With these criteria in mind, I settled on the Baofeng UV-9G.

Things I like about the Baofeng UV-9G:

1. This radio uses CHIRP (a free, open-source tool for programming your radio), which is a lot easier to use than the factory code plug (a file that contains all of the programming information for a radio).

2. This radio is waterproof to a few feet deep.

My friend, Tony, WRUL492, tested the radio at Pinecrest Lake recently. He said it works as advertised. So, if you like boating, kayaking, fishing or any other near water activity, this is really great, although we decided that we should have a long tether for the radio, in case we dropped it, as it seems to want to sink!

3. This radio seems to be fairly rugged. It has taken a few spills (even down a concrete staircase!) and seems to work just fine!

4. This radio can be programmed with VHF/UHF scanner channels (receive only).

5. If you already know how to use a Baofeng UV-5R, this radio is almost identical in features.

6. Mine came with an extended range antenna.

7. The radio comes with a data cable (proprietary) and a charger stand.

Things I'm not so keen on include:

1. The belt clip is not permanently affixed to the radio. It is a quick release design that ends up
being extremely easy to lose.

2. The waterproof design means a proprietary port for data cable - no K-style plug. There is an
adapter available, but it does not come with the radio.

Overall this radio is versatile and affordable. Learning to use CHIRP is easier than manually
programming any radio, so that's a plus. This radio would be good for a beginner, and if GMRS
becomes a long term pursuit, there are other great radios out there to try!
Thanks for letting me review this radio and I wish all TCARES a Happy Holiday!

73, John, KN6RLM/WROX508
OSCAR-03